Friday, November 18, 2011

Before

This is going to be a short update, to show off the latest song that I wrote (and the hurried first draft of a recording).  It's called "Before", and I tried writing it in Starbucks one night but the blaring Christmas music made writing difficult, so I had to take it home and revise.

Also, I rarely go to Starbucks, and the last two times I went


  • An employee made fun of me for using Discover Card, because he informed me that it is "clearly a dying brand."  I always take my financial advise from Starbucks employees.
  • When I ordered a small hot chocolate, an employee said "oh big risk taker, huh" in a very facetious tone
So, Starbucks is pretty much awful.

So, here's the song, and the recording is here

Before
November 16, 2011

The path we walked was covered in leaves
The autumn wind coaxed the clothes from the trees
The air I breathed felt crisp in my chest
Couldn't give it a name, I hadn't felt like this
Before

The pea coat’s collar pulled up to your cheek
Did little to hide months of sorrow from me
Your eyes were dark water, your thoughts withdrew
You were in too deep, and I couldn’t join you
Now, or before

The fall is coming to an end
She's calling on the wind
for you

As we crossed the park, I felt my heart break
For that unspoken empathy was too great
I kissed your forehead, unsure if that was allowed
Blessed for the glimpse of a smile bestowed
months before

The fall is coming to an end
She's calling on the wind
for you

No comments:

Post a Comment