Sunday, November 6, 2011

Text Based FUN

Well, while this is not something I wrote today (or even this year), I thought as an example of "creative writing" that doesn't fit the poetry/prose/music category, I'd post the full code of a text based adventure video game I wrote for a class in functional programming.  To play it, you just need to install a Haskell interpreter on your computer, which is free and not difficult, and found here:

http://www.haskell.org/ghc/download_ghc_64 (make sure to download the Windows one assuming you are not a Mac person)

If you're wondering, "WHAT IS A TEXT BASED ADVENTURE?" I will tell you.  Actually, I will show you, as it is the type of game featured in this cartoon called Thy Dungeonman.

Anyway, try out my game Here (right click > save it to your computer) , and leave a comment telling me how it went!

Once again, steps to playing.

1.Download and install the Haskell interpreter
2.Download the game to your computer
3.Run the game
4.Type "main" to begin!

2 comments: